BJP, Left among others wanted me to join them: Tharoor

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
50152450-1.jpg

Asserting that he is in the "right party", Congress MP Shashi Tharoor today said he had chosen Congress from among the major political outfits, including the BJP and the Left, which had approached him to join them after he left services at the United Nations.

"... it gets asked often and almost no day goes by on social media without somebody asking that question. Let me tell you when I decided to leave the UN, in fact shortly after I stepped back from the race for the secretary general, it is true that every major political formation in this country approached me," Tharoor said in response to a question if he was the "right man in the wrong party".

Pointing out that he has attacked all parties equally as a writer, Tharoor said he had been a fierce critic of the Emergency, the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, the Babri Masjid demolition and the rise of Hindutva politics.
Speaking further if he was in the "wrong party," Tharoor said the Congress of 2009 and 2014 was certainly not the Congress of 1977 which "I could not have voted for".

He added that "parties evolve; they do come up with new personas and new vision. There are good people in the party; there is talent pool in the Congress party."

Listing out the reasons for choosing Congress, he said there were three broad tendencies in the country, especially from the point of view of potential Kerala politics.

"One is a group of people who speak in terms of 'India shining' without really asking who India is shining for. The second are the group of people who say they are for the poor, but consistently oppose every progressive reform or policies that can increase the prosperity of the country and stop poor from being poor because that will not suit their political interest," he said.

"In the middle was a party that had given us the Liberalisation of 1991, taken economic reforms forward also the spirit of social justice... ." he added.