Quick Register
User Name:
Human Verification

Go Back   UNP > Chit-Chat > News

UNP Register

Old 01-Apr-2009
Bittu byte: I am aam aadmi ka sipahi in

Mohali April 1:

“The Congress ticket has been allotted to the Youth Congress and not me,” says Congress nominee from Anandpur Sahib Lok Sabha seat Ravneet Singh Bittu, who is the youngest candidate to be fielded from this area.
Calling himself an “aam aadmi ka sipahi”, slain Punjab chief minister Beant Singh’s grandson says, “In every village, I will appoint my representatives, who will hear grievances of the locals.”

Upbeat over winning the maiden election for the post of Punjab Youth Congress president under the supervision of Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi, Bittu, a native of Kotli village in Ludhiana district, rubbishes reports of him being called an “outsider”. “I was brought up in Mohali. From 1980 to 1992, we lived in Mohali before moving to Chandigarh, when my grandfather became the CM in 1992,” he says.

An alumnus of Guru Nanak Public School, Sector 35, and Government College, Sector 11, Chandigarh, Bittu is fighting his first electoral battle. He says his nomination is aimed at promoting youth, who form 60 per cent of total electorate. “Earlier, the youth felt ignored, but this time Rahul ensured suitable opportunities to them,” he adds.

Claiming overwhelming support from all cadres of the party, the Congress nominee says, “I have got love of the people, who want me to carry forward the legacy of Beant Singh. I want to accomplish the pending tasks of my grandfather. After my grandfather’s assassination in 1995, our family felt ignored, but now time has come for us to once again dedicate ourselves to the public service.”

Prod him about his main poll planks, Bittu says, “Youth development, employment generation, major thrust on education by bringing more technical institutes to the constituency, division status to Ropar and speedy public grievance redressal system will be top on my agenda.” The national-level Hockey player says his rival SAD candidate Dr Daljit Singh Cheema is an “outsider” and “non-political”, and he will trounce him with fluid ease.

Post New Thread  Reply

« Bir devinder singh revolts against ppcc | Jasbir s bajaj awarded padma vibhushan »