BIR devinder writes to DGP

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Patiala January 31:

A day after an email by the Babbar Khalsa International (BKI) threatened to eliminate four politicians of the state and a religious leader, one of the affected politicians has written a letter to the Punjab DGP raising the issue of security of those susceptible to terrorist attack and efforts to revive militancy. Meanwhile, intelligence agencies have started a probe.

In the letter, former Deputy Speaker of the Punjab Vidhan Sabha Bir Devinder Singh said the threat email was a clear evidence that there were efforts to revive militancy in Punjab. “My dossier and the security file available with intelligence and security wings of the Punjab Police speak volumes about my struggle against the militancy in Punjab and my vulnerability to militants’ attacks,” reads the letter.

The email has threatened to eliminate BJP leader from Ludhiana Satpal Gosain, Beas MLA Manjinder Singh Kang, Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh, Youth Akali Dal (Longowal) chief Ranjit Singh Nikkra and former Deputy Speaker of the Punjab Vidhan Sabha Bir Devinder Singh.

In December last year, the Punjab Government had withdrawn the security cover that it had extended to Bir Devinder Singh from the past over two decades. In October last year, the security cover provided to Manjinder Singh Kang was also curtailed. An application for providing security cover to Ranjit Singh Nikkra is pending with the police from the past over a year. The police has started a thorough probe into this and is trying to verify the origin place and the server of this email.