Bir Devinder Singh quits Congress

TaRaN.rbk

ImmorTaL KhalsA

Chandigarh, Punjab: Former Deputy Speaker of the Punjab Vidhan Sabha and member of the All-India Congress Committee (AICC) Bir Devinder Singh has resigned from the party over ticket allotment to Jagdish Tytler and Sajjan Kumar. He has become the second senior Congress leader to quit the party after GS Ghalib, former MP.
In a letter to Congress president Sonia Gandhi, Bir Devinder Singh has not only blamed her for “committing a gravest error of fielding Jagdish Tytler and Sajjan Kumar, ill-caring the sentiments of the Sikh community” but also accused her of not adhering to “the basic postulates of secularism as all; you rather work on micro-ethnic calculative consideration to exploit the sentiments of the minorities that suits your personal gains and political advantage.”
Bir Devinder Singh, who turned 60 on March 1 this year, joined the Congress in 1978 and was first elected to the Punjab Vidhan Sabha from Sirhind in 1980. He was again elected to the Vidhan Sabha in 2002 from Kharar.
He had been declared one of the best parliamentarians during golden jubilee celebrations of the Punjab Vidhan Sabha.
He was denied ticket in the last assembly elections to defend his Kharar seat. This time he was an aspirant for Congress ticket from Sri Anandpur Sahib.
In the letter, he has alleged that in the Delhi anti-Sikh riots case, the investigations by the CBI had been monitored and doctored by Jagdish Tytler with her (Sonia) full knowledge.
“As such the CBI has done great harm to the cause of Sikhs. Congress again has rubbed salt on the wounds of the Sikh community. As such it is not possible for a person like me, who subscribe first to the ideals of my faith i.e. Sikhism than anything else, to accept it. I am deeply hurt on this development, especially the role of the Congress party and 10-Jan path, my conscious does not permit me to stay in Congress any more,” he has said in the letter.