Bhagat Singh's kin sue Kings XI

prithvi.k

on off on off......
######
Team Punjab, it seems, is not having a very good publicity run.

The IPL season I saw a showdown between the Mohali police and Ness Wadia over smoking in the stands, Season II was all about the Slapgate between Harbhajan Singh and S Sreesanth, and now, they are in the news for an ad featuring their team in a Chandigarh newspaper.

The advertisement, which appeared on March 13, read, “The stadium was silent. Chandrashekhar Azad, Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru had just walked into the stands. Are you the wildest Kings XI fan in the stadium? Then you are fan of the match...” This ad led to some NGOs moving court, and also some protest demonstrations in and around the stadium. Now, Bhagat Singh’s grandson, Abhey Singh Sandhu, has submitted a written complaint to the Mohali police, and has also filed a suit in court in Chandigarh, which is set for a hearing today.

We spoke to Team Punjab chairperson, Preity Zinta. “It was not our intention to hurt anybody’s sentiments. I have been informed that the recent ad has hurt some people’s sentiments, which was not what we wanted. I have the utmost respect for leaders of past who made sacrifices for the country. We apologise to the people. The advertisement will be recalled with immediate effect.”

Team senior vice president (operations) Col (retd) Arvinder Singh said, “We have already apologised and we will do it again. I am meeting the senior police officers in this connection. It will be premature to say anything else as some people have taken legal recourse. The ad has been withdrawn and we are hopeful that the matter will be resolved soon.” Talking about Sandhu’s and Global Human Rights Commission lawyer Arvind Thakur’s complaint, Mohali SSP GPS Bhullar said, “I have marked an inquiry into the matter.” SP (detective) Varinder Pal Singh, who’s conducting the probe, said, “I have summoned team management and have asked them to join the probe. We have also recorded some statements.”

Thakur said, “This amounts to hurting the feelings of millions of Indians. How can someone use the names of freedom fighters for commercial gain? We have made Ness Wadia and Preity Zinta parties in this issue.” Wadia and co-owner Mohit Burman refused to comment.

it is the worst kind of example, what is going on in India, only to make name, fame & fame without shame. People are becoming foolish by such irresponsible greedy persons. politicians take huge bags of money in name of election fund and charity aid. All it is grt kanjarkhana. players are selling like Gol Gappas and kaddu karelas in juae baaazi. To their worst, now they add our respected Shaheeds to earn money. A real citizen and human being will have to weep over this and I request to beware of such people, boycott them.