Barack Obama has won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
US President Barack Obama has won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize.

The Nobel Committee said he was awarded it for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".

The committee highlighted Mr Obama's efforts to strengthen international bodies and promote nuclear disarmament.

There were a record 205 nominations for this year's prize. Zimbabwe's prime minister and a Chinese dissident had been among the favourites.

The laureate - chosen by a five-member committee - wins a gold medal, a diploma and 10m Swedish kronor ($1.4m).

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the Norwegian committee said as the prize was announced.

"His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."

Source: BBC NEWS | Europe | Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

I wonder if he has done enough to deserve the nobel.

Ravan

*****AKA-JATT*****
Re: Barack Obama has won the 2009 Nobel Peace Priz

dont you need federal fund for unp...

munda_wakhre_type_da

-- Kem da Gui --

man i always had faith in nobel prizes.... guess the good old saying is rigt,"everything has a price tag attached to it"

prithvi.k

on off on off......
Obama Obama Obama Obama :D

arey yeah kya Award Fixing ..... :wacko

Well surprised az till i have read that Obama took office less than two weeks before the Feb. 1 nomination deadline for nobel prize so how come in that 2 weeks they founded him to be deserve for this nobel peace price !!
Well some past nominees have included Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler and Soviet dictator Josef Stalin also for peace price lolzzz

If like this only it will goes on then next year Rahul Gandhi will also win a nobel....India's Self-Proclaimed Obama :lol

Btw.. mujhi bhi chaida nobel....I`ave made peace with my neighbour over an water issue,az jadho meh pani sitda si toh thale waleh di direct balcony meh girda si hehehhe.. So I deserve the next nobel prize for peace... :w and even i listen to u about peace & following it naah ..so atleast admin jee tussi de sakdi oh unp peace prize :d

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
Re: obama obama obama obama :D

Well some past nominees have included Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler and Soviet dictator Josef Stalin also for peace price lolzzz

They have given the nobel peace prize to arafat :p
and maybe Obama got it for not attacking any new country :nerd

prithvi.k

on off on off......

hmm yasser arafat.. well till i think he was little ok az compare to those present palestine hisbullah or watever they r..

and maybe Obama got it for not attacking any new country :nerd
lolz ,may be this only the reason

btw, check pm aur kuch karooo unp deh obama :d

prithvi.k

on off on off......
Update -- Indian born wins Nobel

He may have migrated to the US long back, but Indian-American Venkatraman Ramakrishnan on Wednesday made a billion people back home proud by
winning the Nobel Prize for Chemistry for his pioneering work on ribosome, a cellular machine that makes proteins.

57-year-old Ramakrishnan, born in the temple town of Chidambaram in Tamil Nadu, is the seventh Indian or of Indian origin to win the prestigious award.

Born in 1952, Ramakrishnan earned his B.Sc. in Physics (1971) from M S University in Baroda, Gujarat and later migrated to the US to continue his studies where he later got settled and attained US citizenship.

He earned his Ph.D in Physics from Ohio University in the US and later worked as a graduate student at the University of California from 1976-78.

During his stint at the varsity, Ramakrishnan conducted a research with Dr Mauricio Montal, a membrane biochemist and later designed his own 2-year transition from physics to biology.

As a postdoctoral fellow at Yale University, he worked on a neutron-scattering map of the small ribosomal subunit of E Coli. He has been studying ribosome structure ever since.

Ramakrishnan, now a senior scientist at the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology in Cambridge has authored several important papers in academic journals.

In the August 26, 2000 issue of Nature, Ramakrishnan and his co-workers published the structure of the small ribosomal subunit of Thermus thermophilus, a heat-stable bacterium related to one found in the Yellowstone hot springs.

With this 5.5 Angstrom-resolution structure, Ramakrishnan's group identified key portions of the RNA and, using previously determined structures, positioned seven of the subunit's proteins.

In the September 21, 2000 issue of Nature, Ramakrishnan published two papers. In the first of these, he presented the 3 Angstrom structure of the 30S ribosomal subunit.

His second paper revealed the structures of the 30S subunit in complex with three antibiotics that target different regions of the subunit. In this paper, Ramakrishnan discussed the structural basis for the action of each of these drugs.

After his postdoctoral fellowship, Ramakrishnan joined the staff of Brookhaven National Laboratory in ther US. There, he began his collaboration with Stephen White to clone the genes for several ribosomal proteins and determine their three-dimensional structures.

He was also awarded a Guggenheim fellowship during his tenure there, and he used it to make the transition to X-ray crystallography.

onlycheema

Banned

Afghanistan's Taliban mocked the award of a Nobel Peace Prize to U.S. President Barack Obama on Friday, saying he should get a Nobel prize for violence instead. Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said it was absurd to give a peace award to a man who had sent 21,000 extra troops to Afghanistan to escalate a war.

Taliban suggest Nobel violence prize for Obama | South Asia | Reuters

Hahahaha