Awesome batting of Captain Cool beat us, says Sangakkara

Lily

B.R
Staff member
650718047.jpg
Mumbai: It was a case so-near-yet-so-far for Sri Lankan skipper Kumar Sangakkara.

He virtually had his hands on the World Cup after his team posted 274 and Lasith Malinga dismissed star Indian openers Virender Sehwag and Sachin Tendulkar.

"I thought we had posted a pretty good total and Lasith Malinga gave us a great start," he said.

"But if you don't get more wickets early on against a batting line-up like the one India have, they will punish you and that's what happened."

When asked whether it was the fielding that let him down with the dropping of crucial catches, Sangakkara said: "I thought the team we fielded today was our best fielding unit. But sometimes things don't go your way.

Half chances

"We couldn't convert the half chances and that proved costly for us.

"In the end, we have to accept that we lost to a better side and move on. Against such awesome batting, no score is enough."

Sangakkara showered praise on Gautam Gambhir.

"Gambhir is one of the best batsmen I have seen and he really stuck at it out there," he said.

"And then MS (Dhoni) came and took the game away from us. Just like Gambhir and Kohli, he also knew exactly what he had to do in the situation and played perfectly."

So where exactly did the team go wrong?

"I think we did not bowl well after we got the early wickets and (Gautam) Gambhir and (Virat) Kohli played very well to pick the boundaries regularly," Sangakkara said.

When asked what would he felt made the difference between the two teams, Sangakkara said: "It was purely India's batting that was responsible, along with Zaheer Khan.

"After (Chaminda) Vaas and (Wasim) Akram, Zak (Zaheer Khan) will have a place. But their batting strength is unbelievable."

Captain cool

On Mahendra Singh Dhoni's captaincy, Sangakkara said: "Dhoni has been the epitome of Captain Cool.

"He's smart and dedicated. But as a side we did well in this World Cup, but at home they took the inspiration one step further."

Sangakkara also said that he was sorry not to have given a great send off to Muttiah Muralitharan by winning the trophy.

"Murali has been our best bowler," he said. "There was dew and we couldn't use him as smartly as we would have liked.

"We bowled too many loose balls. It was one of those rare days when Murali couldn't do his job.

"One in a hundred days it happens. Unfortunately, we couldn't give him a great send off, but that is how life is."

[/img][/COLOR]

pps309

Prime VIP
With such a strong and in-form batting line up, India rightly deserves to win this WC. Sri Lanka, Pakistan did really well in this tournament, more then expected.

South Africa was a big let down..........Aussies deserved the treatment they received from the hands of Pakistan and India :p

Aussies could not even register a single win against any sub-contient team :cheer :cheer