Another twist in Sarabjit’s kin case

Jaswinder Singh Baidwan

Akhran da mureed
Staff member
The claims and counter-claims by two families with regard to their relationship with Sarabjit Singh, who got killed while being lodged in a Pakistan jail two years back, today brought a new twist to the already complex story.
Two days ago, Baljinder Kaur of Ludhiana and her brother Harbhajan Singh had claimed that Sarabjit was their brother and not Dalbir Kaur’s, who had long been leading the campaign for his release.
Today Charanjit Singh, brother of Baljinder and Harbhajan, came up defying Monday’s statement of the duo and chose to stand against his family and with Dalbir Kaur.
Hailing from Tahli village in Hoshiarpur, Charanjit said that he was aghast at the deeds of his sister Baljinder. “She is younger to me. How come she knows about our brother Sarabjit whereas I am unaware of any sibling by that name? I have told her so many times to desist from making false and contradictory statements, but she has failed to listen to my requests,” he said.
While both Baljinder and Charanjit have given out a list of 10 brother and sisters to the media, there is variation in a name. Baljinder wrote the name of Sarabjit Singh while Charanjit mentioned the name of Laxmi Kaur who he claims died young.
Charanjit produced copies of the ration card to validate his claim that Sarabjit’s name did not figure in the family list.
He said that his sister had been unduly maligning the name of his father Mehnga Singh, who he said was a Punjab Roadways driver and died in December 1992.
On why he had not lodged a complaint with the police against his sister, who had been claiming so for the past two years, he pointed towards Kimti Rawal of Mahatar Sathi Jagritu Manch who said that he had lodged a complaint with the National Investigation Agency. Copies of the same were handed out to the media.
On being asked if he had attended the last rites of Sarabjit, he said he had gone to Bhikhiwind, but not as a kin but since he felt for him.
He maintained that he had met Dalbir Kaur through Kimti Rawal but did not know her personally.
On Monday, Baljinder and Harbhajan, along with BJP leader MP Singh Goraya, had held a press conference claiming that Sarabjit was their brother and not Dalbir’s and they kept silent for long for they just somehow wanted their brother to return to India.