92-Year-Old Wins Gold At World Masters Athletic Championship

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
92-Year-Old Wins Gold At World Masters Athletic Championships in France

92old750x500-1.jpg

Vallabhajosyula Srimulu, a 92-year-old navy veteran took part in 10 km speed walk in the 92-94 year category at the World Masters Athletic Championships in France and won Gold.
He took part in the championships held in Lyon, France from August 4th to August 16th. He is now back from France.
Cdr Srimulu was reportedly quoted as saying that his heart swelled with pride to see the national flag being hoisted at the medal award ceremony.
“I participated in 5-km, 10-km and 20-km speed walk and could complete the 10-km walk and get the gold. While 20-km walk is my favorite I could not complete since I was disqualified from both 5-km and 20-km events,” Commander Sriramulu told The Hindu on Monday.
The competition has strict guidelines which says that both the legs should not be in the air at any point in the race. It further states, when the walker has to ground the heel, the knee should lock otherwise it would be counted as a run. He adhered to the stringent rules that have been the sole reason for his disqualification earlier.

“My chest swelled with pride to see the National Tricolour being hoisted at the medal award ceremony after the event, but it was disappointing to see a nondescript volunteer presenting the medal,” he recalled.
Cdr V Sriramulu is a navy veteran who even served in World War II. He has been a sport enthusiast and has excelled in waling and running. In December 2010 he took part in “The Asian Masters Athletic Championships, Kuala Lumpur, winning 4 gold medals. In the world championships held in California in 2011, USA from 6th to 17th July 2011 won a Gold Medal in the 20 km race walk and two silver medals in the 5 km and 10 km race walks. He did some mountaineering as well.
Well, we have so many outstanding examples that it needs to turn around and get inspired.