5 held, govt says she wasn’t stripped

Jaswinder Singh Baidwan

Akhran da mureed
Staff member
Amidst the outrage over the alleged assault and stripping of a 21-year-old Tanzanian woman here, five persons have been arrested in connection with the incident, but the Karnataka Government today denied that the woman was paraded naked.
As the incident on Sunday night took a serious diplomatic turn, Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah told reporters at a global investors meet in Bengaluru, “The case has been registered, five of them (accused) have been arrested. Sushma Swaraj also spoke to me. I will also be sending her a report through my Chief Secretary.”
State Home Minister G Parameshwara refuted reports that the Tanzanian woman was paraded naked saying, “No such thing happened”. It was “definitely not a racial attack,” he said.
Voicing concern over the incident, the Union Home Ministry asked the state government to send a detailed report about the circumstances leading to the assault on the Tanzanian woman, action taken against those allegedly involved in it and the steps taken for the protection of the victim.
The Tanzanian woman student was allegedly beaten up and stripped by a mob in a case of “mistaken identity” after a woman was mowed down by a car here.
She was reportedly dragged out of the car in which she was seated along with her three friends when she reached the accident spot with the miscreants mistaking them to have caused the fatal accident though a Sudanese was involved in it, the police said.
Facing flak over the incident, Siddaramaiah said he had asked the police to conduct an inquiry as to why a complaint was not lodged immediately.
In Delhi, Tanzanian High Commissioner John W H Kijazi said he had sent a complaint to the government and sought prompt action against those behind the “unfortunate” incident.
He urged the government to reinforce security in localities where African students were staying. "We request the Government of India to ensure safety and security of our students in Bengaluru and all other places in India," he said.