4 lakh houses collapse as aftershocks hit China

Quick Register
User Name:
Human Verification

Go Back   UNP > Chit-Chat > News

UNP Register


Old 28-May-2008
4 lakh houses collapse as aftershocks hit China

BEIJING: Two aftershocks struck the quake-ravaged areas flattening more than four lakh houses and injuring 63 people as authorities scrambled to evacuate 80,000 residents near a swollen lake formed by the May 12 temblor.

The death toll in China's deadliest disaster in decades reached 67,183 on Tuesday with 20,790 people still reported missing, the government said. More than 45.61 million people were affected by the quake and 15 million of them had been evacuated.

A 5.4 magnitude tremor jolted Qingchuan county in the quake-shattered Sichuan province, causing the collapse of over 420,000 houses while another measuring 5.7 hit the neighbouring Ningqiang in Shaanxi province, China National Seismological Network said.
Sixty-three people were injured, six critically, in Qingchuan, official Xinhua news agency said, as the aftershocks fuelled more fear and anxiety among the already quake-battered people in the disaster zone.

The aftershocks were felt in Chendgu, the provincial capital of Sichuan, Xi'an, capital of Shaanxi and parts of neighbouring Chongqing Municipality and Gansu province, the agency said.

"Many citizens rushed to the streets from their homes," a resident surnamed Feng in Xi'an was quoted as saying by the agency. Qingchuan was the epicentre of a 6.4 magnitude aftershock on Sunday, the strongest since the 8 magnitude quake of May 12, which left eight people dead and hundreds of others injured.

Post New Thread  Reply

« Tickets for semi-finals exhorbitantly priced | Rain to affect crop diversification »