101 indians return from pak jails

Lily

B.R
Staff member
101 INDIANS RETURN FROM PAK JAILS WITH HORROR STORIES

Attari November 27:
The 101 Indian prisoners released by Pakistan as a goodwill gesture blamed unhealthy conditions in Pakistani jails for deaths of several Indian prisoners.
Though visibly relieved at returning to their homeland, many of them said they were sad at losing their friends to sickness owing to the conditions in the jails in Pakistan. “Freedom would have meant more to me had my friend Daya, who was arrested with me when the Pakistani navy caught us fishing in their territorial waters in 2006, been with me today,” said Narsee, a fisherman from Diu.
“Daya fell ill in Landi jail and died in the absence of treatment,” he explained. The body was sent to India almost two months after his death. More than 350 Indians are lodged in Pakistani jails and the condition of the majority of them is deplorable, he added. Jaish, another fisherman from Gujarat, said he has seen at least six Indians die in the Landi jail during his stay there.
Bhupinder Singh, a resident of Jalandhar, one of the two Punjabis repatriated said at least 15 Indian prisoners had become mentally ill, while over six had contracted tuberculosis. Shashikant, another fisherman, urged the Indian Government to bail out the Indian prisoners. “They will all eventually die if nothing is done. The food is not good and the conditions are as bad as they can be,” he said.