100 happiness comp- Shanghai’s very own Jodi No. 1

prithvi.k

on off on off......
######

2008-
Karthik Saravanan and Meera (Chinese name Ma Qihui) were recently crowned as Shanghai’s very own Jodi No. 1. Karthik, who is from Chennai, has been living in Shanghai since 2004 where he met Meera. Meera is a Shanghai native who works as a Manager with Bank of Shanghai. They both had a traditional tamilian wedding ceremony in Chennai on 28th March 2007.

“We were actually introduced to each other through a common friend. We both like dancing and this sparked the romance in between us,” says Karthik.

100 happiness is an annual competition for 100 newly married couples from Shanghai. The competition spans over 4 months.

“The competition started on 14th Apr. We infact missed our local tamilian get together to celebrate New Year’s Day due to the competition” reflects Karthik. There are slightly over 50 south Indian families in Shanghai and we come together under the auspices of “Shanghai Sangamam” to celebrate traditional festivals.

The competition had several elimination rounds with the final round resulting in top ten couples competing for the grand prize money of Rmb 80K (about INR 5 lakhs). Prior to the final round we survived earlier elimination rounds with different themes such as: self portraits (picture’s taken in 1930’s shanghai style), sports (dragon boat racing, rock climbing and bunjee jumping), karaoke and dance performance.

“When we got selected to the top ten, we were excited” says Meera. The finals were to be telecast on 7th August, which are actually Chinese Valentines day (called QiXi in Chinese) and just a day before Olympics. I felt that it was an excellent opportunity to show how Indian and Chinese cultures both with rich histories could blend. We decided to do a recent Bollywood number and old Chinese dance. For the Indian performance we choose a song from Om Shaanti Om. “We couldn’t get the right outfits in shanghai so I had to design it myself”, says Meera. For the Chinese we choose a dance dating back to Three Kingdoms period (about 221-263 AD) with traditional Chinese dress.

The best things Meera loves about tamilian culture are its silky sarees, jasmine flowers, colorful bangles and awesome vegetarian food. Meera reflects “When I first visited Chennai, Karthik told me that we can’t eat non veg prior to our wedding due to some festivities. Initially I was not sure if I can manage but I felt that south Indian cooking suits vegetarian life style more”.

madrasan ching chong lolz