10-year-old raped in MCD School

HoneY

MaaPeya Da LaaDLa
NEW DELHI: A 10-year-old student of an MCD primary school in Ashok Vihar, north-west Delhi, was raped on the school premises on Thursday morning. According to the police, at least two youths jumped over the low boundary wall of the school and entered the toilet meant for girls. One of them raped the girl before jumping over the wall and escaping.

The incident took place between 12.15 pm and 12.30 pm at the school in Phase III of Ashok Vihar, near Laxmibai College. The victim is a student of Class IV. The police sent the girl to Babu Jagjivan Ram Hospital for a medical check-up which confirmed rape.

The police claimed that only one girl was assaulted. Locals, however, said that at least two more had been attacked but managed to free themselves and flee. "We have registered a complaint of rape and will be investigating the case. However, we have lodged the complaint against a single assailant," said N S Bundela, DCP, (north-west).

One of the girls who had managed to flee said that they had informed a teacher who in turn told the principal. By the time they reached the spot, the assailants had fled.

The victim's grandmother said she got to know about the incident from another girl in the neighbourhood, who had reached home after the school was closed at 12.40 pm. She recalled her granddaughter telling her that a boy wearing a dark brown shirt and black trousers had jumped over the wall and sexually assaulted her. "My granddaughter told me she had gone to the toilet, situated at the extreme end of the school, along with two of her classmates. One of the boys caught hold of the girls. As two of the girls escaped, he forced my granddaughter inside the toilet and assaulted her," she said. She claimed that earlier too there had been some incidents of intruders in the school.

The grandmother alleged there had been attempts by the school to hush up the incident. "The principal was assuring me that the school would pay for the treatment of the girl if I kept quiet. She insisted that it would bring my family a bad name," she said. She added that two teachers accompanied her to a private clinic nearby but the victim was denied treatment there since it was a police case.

The police said they were informed only at 1.50 pm. The principal insisted that the girl had not reported any sexual assault to her initially. "We had called 100 immediately after going to the spot," said Principal Neelam Vij.

The residents held a protest outside the school. "The school should take full responsibility. It could be my daughter tomorrow," said a man whose child studies there. The locals pointed out there were a big garden right behind the school wall which had become a den of anti-social elements.

MCD commissioner K S Mehra has ordered an inquiry into the incident and sought a report within three days. The Mayor, Aarti Mehra, said they were considering stepping up security at their schools. The girl is the youngest among four siblings. Her parents work in factories.