The Kite Festival In Ahmedabad

Rajat

Prime VIP
beardykite_1237202i-2.jpg

The Kite Festival In Ahmedabad

The Kite Festival is one of the most popular events in Ahmedabad, India, with about 200 kite fliers from various countries participating

blueredkites_1237200i-2.jpg

It sees many kites of a variety of colours, shapes and sizes drift across the skies in west India...

dragonkite_1237199i-2.jpg

.the kites are often imaginative, vying to grab the attention of the assembled spectators...

largebluekite_1237193i-2.jpg

some are so large it's hard to imagine them getting up successfully

kitepair2_1237196i-2.jpg

The Kite Festival begins every year on January 14 to coincide with the festival of Uttarayan, the day the sun starts to travel north as a sign of the coming summer

kitepair_1237194i-2.jpg

The day is characteristically marked by bright sunshine, clear skies, and strong breezes, perfect for lifting innumerable kites high above the clouds

kitemaking_1237197i-2.jpg

The preparation for the festival starts a few days in advance with children preparing kites and strings for the annual occasion

kitecloseup_1237198i-2.jpg

Kite fliers will battle each other, attempting to cut each other's strings. The kite strings are specially prepared to facilitate cutting with special mixtures of glue and ground glass

stringdye_1237189i-2.jpg

Manja, the glass powder coated kite flying string is extremely deadly not only to other kites but to birds flying in the sky and to humans. Thousands of flying birds get slashed and killed every year and several people die when their necks get slashed by the manja-covered strings

owlkite_1237191i-2.jpg

Others gravely endanger their lives when they walk around in the middle of congested towns with their eyes fixed on kites in the skies, unaware of their own surroundings