Yuvraj Singh stays true to form

Lily

B.R
Staff member
230402557.jpg

Dubai: "Finally, the day has come. I am going home tomorrow [Monday]. I can't wait, excited to see my friends and family..." says the latest twitter entry from Yuvraj Singh, who is expected to be back in India today after two months of intensive cancer treatment in the United States.

For ‘Yuvi,' the man who had seen enough ups and downs in his life, the last couple of months had been the toughest as he underwent three cycles of chemotherapy at the Boston Institute of Cancer Research and began his rehabilitation in London after being released late last month. All the while, between January and March, Singh showed he was ready to face his troubles with his chin up — never did he let his spirit sag in his interaction with countless friends, fans and celebrities through his twitter account.

Showing character

He was most forthcoming while updating on the various stages of the treatment, posting his ‘bald' picture after chemotherapy and then in a video recalling the magical night of April 2 last year when India won the ICC World Cup after a 28-year-wait. Singh was the lodestar for India's campaign in the showpiece and emerged as Man of the Tournament.

Speaking to Gulf News from India, an emotional father Yograj Singh could not muster adequate words to describe his feelings as he waited for Yuvi to come home. "I want to thank the millions of Indians, as well as his fans from abroad and the media, for praying for his recovery," said Singh Sr, a former Indian fast bowler whose international career never really took off.

Even though Yuvi's parents had separated in his childhood, the Indian star had learnt the ropes of the game first from a hard taskmaster Yograj.

"It does not really surprise me at the brave manner in which he went about the entire thing. Without taking undue credit, all I can say is that I have always tried to convince him to be devoid of fear if he wants to do well in cricket. When he was about 12 years, Yuvi was struck on the head by a cricket ball and everybody panicked about the extent of injury but he shrugged it off and went back to playing cricket," he said.

While Indian cricket wants him to be back in action sooner than later, Yuvi has lost no time in getting involved in the love of his life — he is already following his team Pune Warriors in the ongoing IPL and writing an expert column.

Meanwhile, he hasn't forgotten to acknowledge the personality he has drawn inspiration from, Lance Armstrong, the ultimate cancer suvivor and seven-time Tour de France winner. In the initial stages of his treatment, the cricketer picked up Armstrong's book: "It's not about the bike" and the two athletes even met up later.

One just needs to take a look at his changed Twitter handle to realise the impact of Armstrong's contribution in Yuvi's battle: it has now become ‘Yuvstrong12' from ‘Yuvsingh09!"
[/img][/COLOR]