Will Sachin get the ton of tons at home?

Lily

B.R
Staff member
3962693960.jpg
Dubai: Ian Chappell may advise him to forget the fans, while former team mate and opening partner Sourav Ganguly asks the fans to "leave him alone". Neither seems likely as Sachin Tendulkar looks to thrive at his all-too-familiar Wankhede Stadium in search of the ton of tons yet again when the third Test begins in Mumbai today.

With each passing Test match against the West Indies at home, the clamour has reached such a fever pitch that even Tendulkar — ever so the politically correct person — is now showing signs of irritability at any mention of it. "When I got my 90th international century, nobody said anything," he told a Mumbai-based newspaper the other day. "Even before my 99th century, nobody said anything. So why now? I don't understand," he said.

Much as he may try to wish away the pressure to reach that three-figure mark with soundbites like "it's another number for me," the wait has certainly begun to bug him now.

The whole of India, along with his legion of fans worldwide, have become so obsessed with the figure that his 22nd anniversary in international cricket during the Kolkata Test was very much an overlooked fact — with even hosts Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) not showing the presence of mind to even honour him with a souvenir.

It's a little over seven months now since Tendulkar scored the last one — a brilliant 111 against South Africa in a World Cup group league game at Nagpur on March 12. The much-hyped Indian summer in England, which saw Dhoni's men take a hammering from Strauss & Co, did not quite answer the prayers though it was in that series that he came closest to reaching the magic figure — a resolute 91 in the fourth Test at The Oval.

With the series already decided in favour of the hosts, the million dollar question on everybody's lips at the Wankhede yesterday was: will he or won't he?

West Indies captain Darren Sammy, however, was honest enough when he said he would rather watch Tendulkar get the ton after this series. "Much as I would like him to get a century, I would like to see him do it against some other team on television," he said.

However, the last time Tendulkar stepped onto the Wankhede for an international match, the Men in Blue showed a great sense of occasion by ending his 22-year wait to lay his hands on a World Cup. Will the venue now be witness to what seems to be the landmark of all landmarks for him and allow Tendulkar to heave a sigh of relief?
[/img][/COLOR]