When cricket broke the body clock

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Years ago, if I was told that I would be reporting on an international match until 2am, I would have laughed. I have read about the game, recalled great knocks and even chatted about it with my cricket-crazy friends until dawn, but never did I imagine that one day I would be sitting in the press box filing a report at an odd hour, and then attending a press conference at 3am!

A passionate lover of the game is often termed as mad, but what should one do when the game itself turns mad, breaking all norms and the body clock? Cricket has always changed to adapt to the times and it has been an exciting journey as a reporter when one looks back at the different changes that have come into the game, forcing you to adapt your style of reporting.

After the recent Australia-Afghanistan and Pakistan-Australia one-day matches at Sharjah ended close to dawn, I had the unique experience of finding the day’s newspaper waiting for me at my doorstep.

It is experiments like these that have helped cricket retain its popularity. For all you know, UAE could have very well set a new trend in world cricket through this timing, and one wonders whether other countries too would want to try out this new experience? In fact, this new timing could also revive the falling television viewing figures for Test matches around the world.

There are many people who enjoy going to bed reading, or listening to music, or even watching a movie. Could watching a live cricket match be added to this list? With time getting dearer for many, thanks to the demands of their job, one should not be surprised if more countries pick up this trend. And if this phenomenon does catch on, then like in many other jobs, cricketers too will have to be on night duty at times.

The day is not far away when cricketers are out at night like owls and return to bed before sunlight. It was a game meant to be played under the sun to ward off the cool weather in England, and today this game has come a full circle. What’s next?