War of words continues after ill-tempered Cup tie

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Dubai: The war of words between Al Ain and Al Wasl rages on after Saturday's bad-tempered Etisalat Cup tie. Al Wasl released a statement yesterday denouncing Al Ain coach Cosmin Olaroiu and his staff.

It claims they celebrated in a "derogatory and disrespectful manner" following Yasir Al Qah'tani's winner.

Al Wasl claim Olaroiu gestured towards coach Diego Maradona in an "unacceptable and unsportsmanlike manner", for which he was sent to the stands.

"Al Wasl personally feels that there is no place for what transpired last Saturday in the game of football, and that Al Ain — as a respectable team — should be above such behaviour," read the statement.

Olaroiu went on to attack Maradona's personal life after the game.

The Romanian said: "You know Maradona doesn't always have a clear mind because of his life. He doesn't wish to have the brain clear all the time. Why would I ask my players to kick Donda, are you crazy?

"I don't take drugs, my life is clear, I don't do anything. I don't disrespect the people here, but he can do anything. Me — they kick me out? Why?"

Maradona, who was told of his mother's death after the game, said: "All that happened was not right and unacceptable in professional football."

Ahmad Khalifa, Al Wasl media manager, said: "Commenting about Maradona's personal life, past and history, is unacceptable and irrelevant to any matter that is currently at hand."

Khalifa also accused Al Ain fans of throwing stones at and physically attacking Al Wasl fans after the game, saying the club expected action against the wrong-doers.