Vijay Shankar looks to make most of Sunrisers lessons

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
He may have been in the squad of Sunrisers Hyderabad, the champions, but Vijay Shankar didn't get a chance to play. However, the Tamil Nadu allrounder feels the experience of being part of the David Warner-led side as "exceptional." "To be sharing the dressing room with star cricketers such as Warner, Yuvraj Singh, Kane Williamson, Eoin Morgan and legends such as VVS Laxman, Muttiah Muralitharan among others was something to cherish for me. I learnt a lot by being around with them," the 25-year-old told Times of India on Wednesday (June 1).

Vijay was bought by Sunrisers during the auctions earlier this year for Rs 35 lakh, and he isn't disappointed to have not got a game in in this edition of the Indian Premier League. "I think there are two significant things I learnt by being part of the SRH squad during this season. Firstly, the way someone like Warner or Moises Henriques gears up for a game is just phenomenal. They always keep up the intensity before a game, and that's what helps them to up the ante during the course of the contest. Secondly, the emphasis on fitness is extremely high. To have success in all formats of the game, one needs to not only work on his skill-set but also on the fitness levels," said Vijay.

Speaking about the party after winning the maiden title on Sunday night, Vijay said, "It was a special moment for all of us. Before the game started, Warner had emphasised on the importance of giving it our best shot and that's what the team did. Despite Chris Gayle and Virat Kohli going great guns, the belief Warner had in the side was outstanding. He didn't panic, kept shuffling the bowlers and once we began picking wickets - the fortune tilted in our favour."

Turning up for Vijay CC at the ongoing T20 competition here featuring all the first-division teams, Vijay is looking to make use of the lessons he has learnt at the Sunrisers camp. "I got out early in the first game against ICF on Tuesday. So, when I walked in to take strike on Wednesday, I wanted to make amends. The thing about good players is that they never let go of opportunities. If I want to be a good cricketer, then I should look to make every chance count. That's what I did and I am happy to have pulled it off," said Vijay, who scored a 51-ball 120 in a display of audacious hitting against a hapless AG's Office attack at the Gurunanak College Ground here.