Umar calls ton one of his best innings yet

Lily

B.R
Staff member
3600304761.jpg
Abu Dhabi: Pakistan's opening batsman Taufeeq Umar said his unbeaten 109 against Sri Lanka at the Zayed Cricket Stadium here was one of his best Test innings.

"It's one of my best hundreds for sure," said the left-hander, and added that a comeback was more difficult than making a debut.

"When you make a comeback, you have more pressure on you than your debut. But since then I've performed well. I've been more focused. Vicky [Waqar Younus] and Mohsin [Khan] have given me a lot of confidence and Misbah has always led from the front, so that is also good for confidence," said Umar, who scored his second hundred since getting back into the Test side after being in the wilderness for four years.

Commenting on his innings, Umar said: "We had to spend time at the wicket and the key was the partnerships, which you need in Tests — first it was Hafeez and I with a 100-run partnership and then another with Azhar. We are in the driving seat right now because of that. We will keep going like this tomorrow as well."

Slow but steady

Though Pakistan lost only one wicket, they scored slowly, making only 232 runs yesterday, and Umar said: "After lunch, they bowled in good areas and the field was spread out. I was getting cramps as well by then. But the need of the team was [to stay at the wicket], so I played accordingly.

"Actually, whatever the requirement of the team is, you have to play like that, and you have to follow the game-plan your management and captain give you. To spend time out there, to build partnerships, that was our plan."

Commenting on the strategy for day three, Umar said: "We'll make a plan with the coach and captain. First hour, till lunch, we can play normally and then we'll see how things are going and take it from there.

"We don't have any figure just yet for a total. In the first two hours we want to play normal cricket, maybe not accelerate too much. But we'll definitely have a look tomorrow and see how it goes."
[/img][/COLOR]