Top Sri Lankan cricketers join Caribbean Premier League

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Almost all the top Sri Lankan cricketers have joined the inaugural Limacol Caribbean Premier League (LCPL) in its closing stages. The latest Sri Lankan cricketer to join the list is former Sri Lanka skipper Tillakaratne Dilshan as replacement for the injured Martin Guptill for the Guyana Amazon Warriors.

Muttiah Muralitharan and Kumar Sangakkara are playing for Jamaica Tallawahs while Mahela Jayawardene is with Trinidad & Tobago Red Steel. Their fearsome pacer Lasith Malinga has joined the Guyana Amazon Warriors team — the recruitments certainly boosting the profile of the event.

Former West Indies Test star Roger Harper, now the Guyana Amazon Warriors coach, said: “While it is sad to lose a player of Guptill’s ability at this stage of the tournament, we are delighted to have secured a top quality replacement in Dilshan. He offers so much to any side he plays for, as an attacking batsman, a useful bowler and also someone who is outstanding in the field. We look forward to him linking up with us ahead of Thursday’s semi-final and his big-match experience will be a great asset to us.”

A former captain of the national team, Dilshan has already proved his calibre in Twenty20 cricket with Delhi Daredevils and the Royal Challengers Bangalore in the Indian Premier League. The Caribbean crowd, which enjoys aggressive batting, will be looking forward to see his pioneered shot known as the ‘Dil-scoop’ over the wicketkeeper’s head.

Sangakkara has agreed to play in the CPL mainly due to his former teammate Muralitharan’s request. After deciding to join the CPL, Sangakkara said:

“I did not expect to be playing the CPL this year, but when Muralitharan telephoned and asked whether I might be interested in playing for the Jamaica Tallawahs, I jumped at the chance. To play alongside Murali again will, of course, be a great privilege and it will also be very exciting to bat with Chris [Gayle] rather than being his opponent. The Tallawahs have had a great season thus far and I hope I can make a positive contribution as we seek to win the inaugural tournament.”

Malinga has come in for Guyana Amazon Warriors as a replacement to Pakistan allrounder Mohammad Hafeez, who will leave after the league stages to play for Pakistan on their Zimbabwe tour, which starts on August 23.

Jayawardene joined the Trinidad and Tobago team as replacement to South Africa’s Davy Jacob who was ruled out due to an injury. “I’ve always loved playing cricket in the Caribbean, so I am really looking forward to a short stint with T&T Red Steel,” said Jayawardene before flying out to play in the CPL.