Top-10 doubles rank is a very realistic goal: Divij Sharan

→ ✰ Dead . UnP ✰ ←

→ Pendu ✰ ←
Staff member
As the age is catching up fast with Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi, India needs young blood to carry their legacy forward and one of those promising faces is definitely Divij Sharan.
NCgLzSu.jpg
Having just won his first ever ATP 250 title, partnering Purav Raja at Bogota last month, Divij Sharan is riding high. The 27-year-old called the win the highest point in his career after a string of lows. Busy packing and getting his paperwork done on the eve of his departure to participate in the US Open, he takes time out to speak to Tanya Rudra about his journey so far and his plans ahead. Excerpts:

On how he started playing tennis

I was a sporty kid and played almost every sport under the sun. I picked up a tennis racquet for the first time when I was seven and the opening of a tennis academy at my school — Modern School (Vasant Kunj) — changed my life. I began training under Rajender Jaiswal at the junior level and eventually moved to DLTA to get more expertise. After a short stint at the RK Khanna Tennis Academy, I started training with Aditya Sachdeva at the Siri Fort Sports Complex, and I have been with him for the last eight years. I have been extremely lucky. My family has been really supportive. My mother used to travel with me when I was playing on the junior circuit and that was not easy for her.

On partnering Purav Raja

Purav and I get along very well on and off the court. Both of us are very serious about doubles and have been playing together for almost a year now. Having a consistent partner is a huge advantage. A regular partner understands your game well and there is a better level of understanding. There is a greater scope for improvement and you need to pick up from where you left off.

On getting into the main draw at Wimbledon

Going to Wimbledon for the first time was phenomenal. Even though we had a tough loss (in the first round), I took the positives from it and only got motivated to do better next year. I wish they played more tournaments on grass since it is my first love.
[/img][/I][/B][/SIZE]