Tahir needs to have more control to be successful: Nicky Boje

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
South Africa have produced match-winners in every department over the years, but a champion spinner seems to have eluded them. Nicky Boje did it for a while with his left-arm spin and now it's on leg-spinner Imran Tahir to carry it forward. Boje, who was part of one of the best South African teams in the late 1990s and early 2000s, feels that Tahir has the potential to become a world-class spinner but he needs more control over his bowling.

"I think Imran has done well for South Africa. He has been consistent in ODIs and T20s but his performance in Tests hasn't been that great," Boje, who is in city to guide budding cricketers in the Ultimate Sport coaching camp, being conducted by Golden Goose, told the reporters on on Friday (May 20).

"He has improved a lot but he has the tendency of bowling a loose ball after a few good deliveries. That's why he bleeds runs. He needs to work hard on it so that he gains more control," he added.

Boje feels winning International Cricket Council (ICC) tournament like World Twenty20 is not impossible for the South African team but it will be difficult to for them to cope after the departure of AB de Villiers, Hashim Amla, Dale Steyn in the coming years.

"World T20 will be taking place once in every four years. So the next World T20 will be in 2020. I don't think many of the current players will continue till then and it'll be a huge challenge for Cricket South Africa to find proper replacements for these legends," he said.

When asked who is the best T20 batsmen among Chris Gayle, de Villiers and Virat Kohli, Boje said, "It's unfair to compare them and I wouldn't be able to pick just one player among these three. Gayle is known for power hitting, AB for his finesse and Virat for total control of shots and finishing ability. I think all of them are great and it's pleasing to watch them performing at their best," he concluded.