Somerset confident after KKR win

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Hyderabad: Somerset still consider themselves underdogs in the Champions League Twenty20 but believe they can win the tournament.

Despite the five wicket win over Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) at Rajiv Gandhi Stadium here on Sunday night, Somerset captain Alfonso Thomas felt they are still the underdogs in the tournament.

"It is good to be underdogs when you are winning," he told a post-match press conference.

After three victories in a row here, Thomas considers Hyderabad to be a home away from home. "Three out of three wins is always good to take. We are definitely over the board," said Thomas, after leading his side to their second consecutive victory against KKR.

Somerset qualified for the main tournament by beating KKR and Auckland Aces.

Aggressive knock

"We certainly believe that we can win. As I have always said, we got to respect every opposition but we certainly don't fear anybody. We play to win and we have to play like the way Somerset always plays," he said.

He was all praise for Roelof Van der Merwe, whose aggressive knock of 73 off just 40 balls, helped Somerset snatch the victory.

"This is one of the better knocks I have seen," he said.

Thomas said the pitch was a little bit slow, but he felt 162 was attainable after the batsmen up front made things easy.

At the post-match presentation ceremony, skipper Gambhir said: "I think we batted really well but Merwe took the game away from us. We were looking for a score of 145 but with that one over in which we got four sixes, we got a good score. It was very good total on this wicket but the way they batted, all credit to Somerset."

Gambhir hoped that KKR would do well in the remaining three group stage matches. "Kallis is a quality player. He is world-class and Yusuf Pathan is also in good form," Gambhir said.