Smith hails Australian demolition

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
South African captain Graeme Smith has hailed the four day Test win over Australia as a great advertisement for Test cricket. In an amazing post-tea session, South Africa came out inspired to snaffle nine Australian wickets for just 75 runs to level the 3-match series at 1-1.

Chasing a record 448, Australia looked set to take the game into the final day as the openers put on 126 runs for the first wicket. JP Duminy broke through for the hosts claiming Warner for 66 but the visitors were well placed at tea.

In an inspired burst, Dale Steyn ripped through the middle order and was assisted ably by Vernon Philander and Morne Morkel as the visitors tumbled to 216 all-out.

Smith praised his team's exemplary qualities and added the series was nicely set-up for the decider at Cape Town. "I don't think many teams would have been able to respond from a defeat like the one we had in Centurion," Smith said.
"I've seen some terrific victories from this team, and nine wickets in a session is really something special", he added.

With Australia seven down at the end of the scheduled period of play, umpires, Kumar Dharmasena and Richard Illingworth extended play by another half-an-hour to allow South Africa a chance to complete victory.

Smith was excited about the last gasp victory saying it was a special moment for his team. "It was true drama, that's the thing. Test cricket showed its drama again today ... that's what makes this form of the game so special, and exciting to be a part of," Smith said.

Smith claimed he deliberately avoided off-field confrontations with the charged up Australian team after the first Test. "From the start I don't think we've shouted out about anything. We wanted to show that our cricket will produce the goods," he said. "We were blown away in Pretoria [Centurion], and we've been able to show that we're more than that here [in Port Elizabeth]. I think that's exciting for us."

Asked if this victory would provide them the impetus going into the third Test, Smith sounded very positive. "For the series it's a terrific set-up for Newlands a fantastic ground, one of the most picturesque grounds in the world. South Africa [and] Australia one-all going into the third, it's all set up fantastically well," he said.

The third and the final Test will be played at Newlands, Cape Town from 1st March. The hosts will be aiming at their first home series victory over the Australians since re-admission into cricket in 1992.