Sharapova off to a winning start

Lily

B.R
Staff member
3211485513.jpg
Tokyo: Maria Sharapova defeated Tamarine Tanasugarn of Thailand 6-2, 7-5 Monday in a second-round match at the Pan Pacific Open played under the roof because of rain.

After taking the first set in 30 minutes behind a blistering forehand, the second-seeded Russian quickly went up 3-0 in the second set before faltering. Tanasugarn suddenly came to life, breaking in the fourth game and winning five of the next seven games to make it 5-5.

Sharapova dug in during the 11th game, however, breaking again and then closing the match with an ace at a covered Ariake Colosseum.

"I served really well today," Sharapova said. "It was important for me to serve well because she reads the ball really well. I had a bit of letdown in the second set. She started playing really well. I was glad I was able to come back and win it in two sets."

Also advancing were seventh-seeded Marion Bartoli of France and two top Serbians, eighth-seeded Jelena Jankovic and 12th-seeded Ana Ivanovic.

Sharapova said the players are happy to support this tournament following the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

"The commitment the players have shown is incredible," she said. "With nearly a full draw, I think the players have shown their dedication."

The annual WTA Tour tournament is normally outdoors, but late-morning rain forced the closure of the roof over the main court and suspension of play on outdoor courts.

Baseline battle

Bartoli defeated Ayumi Morita of Japan 6-3, 0-6, 6-3, and Jankovic beat Barbora Zahlavova Strycova of the Czech Republic 6-4, 6-2.

Bartoli prevailed in a baseline battle despite a second-set whitewash. She overpowered Morita with a strong backhand in a final set featuring service breaks in the first three games. Morita committed several unforced errors in the third set, leading to her defeat.

RESULTS

Second round (prefix denotes seeding): 8-Jelena Jankovic (Serbia) beat Barbora Zahlavova Strycova (Czech Republic) 6-4 6-2; 2-Maria Sharapova (Russia) beat Tamarine Tanasugarn (Thailand) 6-2 7-5; 7-Marion Bartoli (France) beat Ayumi Morita (Japan) 6-3 0-6 6-3.

First round: Klara Zakopalova (Czech Republic) beat Urszula Radwanska (Poland) 3-6 6-3 6-1; 13-Julia Goerges (Germany) beat Pauline Parmentier (France) 6-3 6-4; Vania King (U.S.) beat Zhang Shuai (China) 6-1 6-0; Maria Kirilenko (Russia) beat Erika Sema (Japan) 6-1 6-0; Jarmila Gajdosova (Australia) beat Rebecca Marino (Canada) 1-6 6-2 7-5; Mandy Minella (Luxembourg) beat Kimiko Date-Krumm (Japan) 1-6 6-3 6-3; 12-Ana Ivanovic (Serbia) beat Anastasia Rodionova (Australia) 6-4 6-0.
[/img][/COLOR]