Shakib attends BCB hearing over alleged altercation

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
Shakib Al Hasan has attended a BCB hearing over an alleged altercation between him and a spectator during the first ODI against India in Mirpur last Sunday. The incident is believed to have taken place during the rain break, when Shakib allegedly had a row with a man who was apparently harassing his wife.

BCB directors Akram Khan and Jalal Yunus, and acting CEO Nizamuddin Chowdhury were present to hear Shakib's version of the events. While Shakib insisted that he had not hit the spectator, he could still be punished for leaving the team dressing room during the course of an international match. The board will inform him of its decision once it receives the manager's report.

"I left the dressing-room and that is against the rules," Shakib said. "However, I was not aware of that rule. So from that point, I do have a fault but let's see what happens and wait for the decision. I don't regret it. I did not raise my hand. There were others, there was security, but I did not raise my hand. But yes, I was there."

The man in question was arrested by police on Wednesday, but granted bail the following day.

Shakib said he would pursue the case. "I will continue with the case. I heard that in the case of eve-teasing there is no bail, so I don't know how that boy got bail. I am serious about this issue. I think an example needs to be set. It [eve-teasing] happens a lot in Bangladesh. This should be an example."