Roddick leads strong American charge at home

Lily

B.R
Staff member
New York: Amid much moaning in US media about the state of the nation's tennis prowess, veteran Andy Roddick, emerging Donald Young and big serving John Isner kept up a strong showing by American men with wins at the US Open Sunday.

Roddick, the main flagbearer for American men in recent years and the 2003 US Open champion, beat France's Julien Benneteau, 22-year-old Young followed with a one-sided win over 24th seed Juan Ignacio Chela of Argentina and Isner beat compatriot Alex Bogomolov to reach the fourth round.

All marched on in straight sets to form a quarter of the fourth round. Top-ranked American Mardy Fish was already in the round of 16 on the other half of the draw.

Proud effort

Since no US men made it to the second week at Wimbledon this summer, the American contingent can hold their heads high for performing well before the home fans at Flushing Meadows.

"It's pretty impressive," said Isner. "But you don't get remembered for making the round of 16. You have to keep going on. That's my goal." Young said: "I think the players, we've heard it quite a bit," in reference to US players stepping up to meet expectations.

"Yeah, it's great. I think that's the way it should be here, especially at the US Open."

Roddick, 29, thinks Young, touted as a future star when at age 16 he became the youngest player ever to be ranked No 1 on the ITF junior circuit in 2005, has been egged on by the success of some other young Americans including Ryan Harrison.

"I think there's a healthy jealousy going on right now, which is good," said Roddick, the last American man to win a slam.