Raza, Silva wreck star studded Afghanistan

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Dubai: Left-arm spinners Ahmad Raza and Shadeep Silva bowled the UAE to an emphatic eight-wicket victory over Afghanistan to clinch a place in the final of the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) Elite trophy.

In a surprisingly one-sided semifinal at the International Cricket Council (ICC) Global Cricket Academy ground yesterday, UAE bowled out Afghanistan (who had played in Twenty20 World Cup recently) for a paltry 70 runs in 30.4 overs. UAE then raced to victory in just 23.4 overs losing two wickets with 158 balls to spare.

Raza celebrated his 24th birthday with figures of 5-1-6-3, supported ably by Silva with three wickets for just 16 runs from his 10 overs.

UAE looked like a totally transformed side under their new coach and former Pakistan Test star Aaqib Javed.

Speaking to Gulf News after the win, Javed said: “We put Afghanistan under pressure from the start. Full credit to the boys who bowled and batted brilliantly. The victory is the result of our improvement in skills and fitness.”

For the UAE, Haroon Ifthikar hit an unbeaten 34 while Shaiman Anwar remained unconquered on 22 as they put on 45 runs in 14 overs. The UAE will now take on Nepal, who beat Malaysia by 21 runs in the second semifinal held at the Zayed Cricket Stadium, yesterday. The final will be held at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium on Friday.

“Raza is a very skillful bowler and he proved it today. Silva has always been a regular performer. Arshad Ali too bowled very well and all our spinners deserve credit for their fine show,” added Javed.

Silva, despite being a spinner has proved to be effective with the new ball. He once again opened the bowling and clean bowled Afghanistan’s star batsman Mohammad Shahzad for 5 and skipper Nawroz Mangal for 1. “I stuck to my basics. My aim was to contain the batsmen and I am happy I could pick wickets along the way,” said Silva.

UAE have now qualified for the ACC Emerging Cricket League. Mazhar Khan, the administrator of the Emirates Cricket Board said: “UAE will play alongside India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh Under-23 teams along with the three top finishers from this tournament and hosts Singapore next year.”

Brief scores: Afghanistan 70 in 30.4 overs (Javed Ahmadi 29, Shadeep Silva 3 for 16, Ahmad Raza 3 for 6, Arshad Ali 2 for 22) UAE 71 for 2 in 23.4 overs (Haroon Iftikhar 34n.o, Shaiman Anwar 22n.o). Man of the match: Ahmad Raza.