Raine best sees Essex struggle again at Chelsmford

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
Leicestershire 28 for 0 trail Essex 166 (Ryder 38, Raine 5-48) by 138 runs

Ben Raine returned career-best figures of 5 for 48 in 18 overs as Leicestershire took the honours on a rain-affected day at Chelmsford. Taking full advantage of overcast conditions and a greenish pitch, the right-arm paceman posed problems to all the Essex batsmen to fully justify skipper Mark Cosgrave's decision to insert his rivals.

Raine's main weapon was swing and he could have reaped a bigger harvest so often did he beat the bat, sometimes with deliveries that lifted awkwardly. He embarked upon his destructive course by removing Tom Westley and Jaik Mickleburgh in successive overs after the pair had shared in a second-wicket stand of 43 following the loss of Nick Browne, who was caught in the slip cordon in Clint McKay's first over of the day.

Westley was trapped lbw for 27 while Mickleburgh was bowled for 16 following resistance of just over an hour that spanned 40 deliveries. Raine later had Jesse Ryder well caught on the deep fine leg boundary by Ned Eckersley, the New Zealander making 38, the top-score of the home side's innings. Ryan ten Doeschate and James Foster were his other victims as Essex, who gave a first-class debut to 20 year-old slow left-arm bowler Aron Nijjar, were left still seeking their first batting point of the season at Chelmsford in their third match on the ground.

Ravi Bopara's hopes of making an impact were quickly ended by McKay when a loose shot presented wicketkeeper Lewis Hill with an easy catch with just four runs to his name.

Apart from Westley and Ryder, Graham Napier was the only other batsman to top 20. He struck five boundaries in his 29 before he was caught at second slip to give Charlie Shreck his solitary success. That was a wicket that ended a partnership of 54 with Ryder, the pair joining forces with their side deep in trouble at 67 for 6. McKay finished with 2 for 42 while offspinner Jigar Naik claimed the final two wickets at a cost of nine runs in 8.3 overs.

On a day when 27 overs were lost to rain and bad light, Leicestershire's openers Matt Boyce and Angus Robson reached the close on 28 without loss from seven overs to complete a rewarding day in their quest to end a sequence of 37 Championship matches without a victory.

"I haven't had many five-fors in my life, to be honest, coming from a batting background," Raine said. "So it's nice to get my first one for Leicestershire and I can only hope that it's the first of many. I'd roll that pitch up and take it with me everywhere I went if I could. This morning, the constant drizzle kept that bit of life in it although in the afternoon it got a bit better to bat on."

Essex head coach Paul Grayson said: "It was certainly a good toss to win and we would have bowled first had we had the opportunity. Credit to Raine - he used the conditions well."