Raina promises to deliver in World T20

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
Dropped from the Indian team for the Asia Cup after a poor run of scores against Australia, South Africa and New Zealand, Indian middle-order batsman Suresh Raina said he has worked on a lot of his weaknesses and promised a new-look self in the upcoming World T20 to be played in Bangladesh.

The 27-year-old southpaw has been a consistent batsman for India in ODIs over the last few years and averages a healthy 35.35 for his 4596 runs from 189 matches but his struggles, starting with a resurgent Mitchell Johnson in India, to New Zealand's quicks Down Under, saw him being sidelined.

However, Raina spent time playing domestic one-dayers and talking to Sourav Ganguly and is now ready for a fresh start: "Coming in to bat at No. 5 and 6, I have got some starts and reached 20s and 30s.

"The problem is I haven't been able to build on those starts and that's what I am trying to rectify. I have spoken to Sourav Ganguly as well and his advice has been very helpful," Raina told Times of India.

"He just gave me confidence and told me to work on my strength. He reminded me how well I had done in ODIs before and told me to play the same aggressive game that made me successful. It does feel good when such a great player has so many good things to say about your game.

It's all part of the improvement process. I have taken all those things into account and tried to work on it. I have taken the advice of my coaches as well and I believe you will see a different Suresh Raina in the T20 World Cup," Raina said.

Raina felt the World T20 in the sub-continent would be a great stepping stone for India in their defence of the World Cup Down Under next year.

"This T20 World Cup is going to be the stepping stone for the 50-over World Cup in a year's time. If we do well and go on to win it here, it's going to be a huge boost to our confidence. As for me, if I do well and have a good IPL after that, it will help me come back into reckoning for ODIs. "

India have had a rough time since their glorious run at home last year. After two successive poor shows overseas, the world champions continued to disappoint even in familiar conditions in Bangladesh and were knocked out in the group stages for the second consecutive Asia Cup.

But Raina felt India had a good chance of winning the World T20 this year, a title they have not laid hands on since their victory in the inaugural tournament in South Africa seven years ago.

"Look at the balance of experience and youthful energy. We will go there and play a few practice games as well which will help us tune up to the conditions. And as it is, it's the subcontinent and we have always done well. If everything falls into place, we have every chance of winning it."