Pune make it two on the trot with victory over Punjab

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Pune: Pune Warriors registered their second win on the trot when they beat Kings XI Punjab by 22 runs in the late Indian Premier League game yesterday.

Playing in front of their ‘home' crowd at the Subrata Roy Sahara Stadium, the Pune side rustled up a fighting 166 for six, with Marlon Samuels of West Indies top-scoring for Pune with 46 off 39 balls and young Steven Smith once again coming up with a cameo effort of 25 in 12 balls.

King's XI, in reply, were never really in the chase once skipper Adam Gilchrist was run out for six. This was the Punjab team's second defeat in as many matches.

Stars arrive

Meanwhile, Mahela Jayawardene and explosive batsman Kevin Pietersen arrived here yesterday, a day after completing their national duty for Sri Lanka and England respectively.

"I am looking forward to a good season with the team," the Daredevils' official website quoted Jayawardene as saying.

"It will be wonderful working with cricketers with so much collective experience. [Team mentor] T.A. Sekar had been telling me for a while before the auction that he was keen for me to turn out for Delhi.

"I know the Delhi Daredevils fans would have liked the Colombo Test to end in three or four days so that we could play the last night's game against Royal Challengers Bangalore. But, KP and I had other ideas," he said.

Jayawardene and Pietersen both got hundreds in the first innings of the second Test, which England won.

Brief scores

Pune Warriors 166 for six wickets (M.Samuels 46, R.Uthappa 40; H.Singh 3/24) vs King's XI Punjab 144/8 off 20 overs (B. Sharma 35 not out; R.Sharma 2/34). Pune Warriors won by 22 runs.