Ponting expresses interest to coach Australia in future

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
Ricky Ponting, the legendary Australian batsman, has expressed interest in coaching Australia in the future. Ponting, who is currently coaching the Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Mumbai Indians, with whom he won the title last year, has suggested that he would like "some continuity" in the role when he eventually finds himself coaching the national side.

"I would love to be working with (David) Warner and (Steve) Smith along with some of the young guns like (Usman) Khawaja and (Joe) Burns - that will be a lot of fun," Ponting was quoted as saying by cricket.com.au on Wednesday (April 6). "I know I will thoroughly enjoy it, but right now I have the Big Bash commentary and two months with the Mumbai Indians in the IPL. The rest of the time I like to spend time with my family."

The former Australian captain said he was looking at a time-frame around the 2019 World Cup to plunge into full-time coaching duties.

"To be honest, I have not thought that far ahead (to 2019), (but) thinking about it now, my family will be a lot older, the girls will be nearly teenagers then so maybe I'll want to be getting out of the house (laughs)," he said.

"I love everything about being involved with a team. That is what my life has been about - it is about being in cricket changing rooms and trying to figure out ways to be a better player, or as a coach now I'm always trying to find ways of improving others."If I can improve as a coach this year and I can improve the players, that is a step in the right direction."

Ponting has also ruled out of the possibility of him becoming a batting consultant on a short-term basis for one series or for one particular tour alone, something which his former teammate Michael Hussey did recently. "I could (do a consultancy role) but to be fair, I don't think it will be fulfilling for me and I'm not sure how much the guys will get out of it," he said."As a batting coach you want to have continuity, have the same set of eyes and same voice on you for a long period of time.

"I know that's what I'd want if I was a young player in the team. I don't think I will be doing myself any justice or the players if I just came in for a tour here and there."