Ponting backs Rohit Sharma to find form in IPL

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
As Mumbai Indians kick off the defence of their Indian Premier League title at Wankhede against debutants Rising Pune Supergiants on Saturday (April 9), you'd think there would be a few concerns in their camp. Their best bowler may have to miss the tournament due to an injury, and their best batsman, who happens to be the captain too, is short of both runs and confidence.

The two-time champions' biggest weapon with the ball - Lasith Malinga - is yet to recover from a knee injury, while Rohit Sharma is coming off a terrible World T20 (88 runs in five games 17.60).

However, as is typical of all coaches, and perhaps Aussies, Ricky Ponting was quick to shut the negatives out in the pre-tournament presser. The former Australian captain, who guided Mumbai Indians to the crown last year, backed his franchise captain to re-discover his from in the IPL, even as he revealed that the team was hopeful of Malinga joining them at some stage in the campaign.

"Rohit is one of the best players in the world. I think he's shown that over a long period of time. The one thing about our game is it's very hard to maintain exceptionally high standards all the time. There are going to be periods in your career when you have your ups and downs, but we all know how good a player Rohit is. He'll show that over the next few weeks.

"So, it's all nice and relaxed as far as I'm concerned. I know he's nice and relaxed about his game too going into the IPL. I know he's excited about the start of the IPL. I know he loves captaining MI. I'm sure you'll see him play exceptionally well over the next two months," Ponting stressed.

The key to getting Rohit, who notched up 482 runs in last year's edition, back to his best may just lie in where he bats for Mumbai Indians . The Mumbaikar made it clear that he would start as an opener. "I would like to open, at least in the initial games. We have got a great set of batsmen in our squad, so there is a bit of a headache about whom to pick in the XI. A lot depends on what sort of balance we need. As captain, it's my responsibility to field the right combination," Rohit said.