Pakistan Match-Fixing Timeline

Quick Register
User Name:
Human Verification

Go Back   UNP > Chit-Chat > News > Sports News

UNP Register


Old 03-Nov-2011
Harpreet Seehra
Pakistan Match-Fixing Timeline

As ex-Pakistan cricketers Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir as well as agent Mazhar Majeed await sentencing for their part in the match-fixing scandal, we take a look at how things unfolded.
The quartet will be sentanced on Thursday, with custodial sentances expected.
August 28: News broke of a cricket corruption story in the following day's News of the World concerning the timing of no-balls delivered during the fourth Test between England and Pakistan, which was still ongoing.
August 29: Thirty-five-year-old Mazhar Majeed was arrested in connection with police inquiries into allegations of 'spot-fixing' to defraud illegal bookmakers. He was bailed without charge. Pakistan team management confirmed captain Salman Butt and bowlers Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir had had their mobile phones confiscated by police.
August 30: A three-man delegation from Pakistan's Federal Investigations Agency was sent to London to probe the claims.
The International Cricket Council promise to take "swift and decisive action" if allegations were proved.
September 1: Butt, Asif and Amir travelled to London from the team hotel in Taunton for a meeting with the Pakistan High Commission the next day, also attended by Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Ijaz Butt.
September 2: Pakistan team manager Yawar Saeed confirmed the trio would miss the Twenty20 and one-day international sections of their series against England.
The ICC charged the trio under their anti-corruption code and suspended them.
September 3: ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat confirmed Butt, Asif and Amir were being questioned by police in London. They were released without charge.
September 17: Scotland Yard confirmed a file of evidence on claims that Pakistan cricketers accepted cash bribes had been passed to prosecutors.
September 19: PCB chairman Butt alleged that some England players claimed "enormous amounts of money" to fix the result of the one-day match at The Oval on September 17.
September 20: England captain Andrew Strauss expressed "surprise, dismay and outrage" at Butt's remarks and admitted he and his team-mates had "strong misgivings" about finishing off the one-day series. The ECB said Butt's comments were "wholly irresponsible and without foundation".
September 29: Butt apologised for his remarks regarding the England team after the threat of legal action by the ECB.
February 4: The Crown Prosecution Service said Butt, Asif, Amir and Majeed had been charged with conspiracy to cheat and conspiracy to obtain and accept corrupt payments.
February 5: Butt, Asif and Amir were served with bans for 10, seven and five years respectively by the ICC. Five years of Butt's ban and two years of Asif's ban were suspended, and all punishments were backdated to the beginning of their suspensions in September.
October 4: The trial of Butt and Asif began at Southwark Crown Court in London.
November 1: The jury of six men and six women unanimously found the pair guilty of conspiracy to cheat, and both Butt and Asif were also convicted of conspiracy to accept corrupt payments by a majority of 10 to two.
It was also allowed to be reported that Amir pleaded guilty to accepting corrupt payments at a pre-trial hearing on September 16.
November 3: Sentences expected.

Post New Thread  Reply

« 'Fixing is a world-wide phenomenon' | Previous Match-Fixing Controversies »