Not going to apply for a role with Cricket Australia: Jason Gillespie

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
Jason Gillespie has decided to stay with Yorkshire and has ruled out taking up the role of Australia's bowling coach, despite constant speculation.

The former Australian paceman was the favourite to be Craig McDermott's full-time successor and reportedly met with Darren Lehmann, the Australian head coach, this week in the UK to discuss the role. But the 41-year-old has now publicly ruled himself out of the gig.

"He (Lehmann) mentioned that there was a role coming up with Australian cricket," Gillespie told BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra on Tuesday (May 31). "I want to make it very clear there was no job offer from Darren, it was merely gauging interest. I said thanks for the chat and I would get back to him.

"I confirmed to him that I am not going to apply for a role with Cricket Australia," he added. "So we can end all the speculation right now."

Gillespie's success with Yorkshire has earned rave reviews and some influential English cricket figures, including Nasser Hussain, were calling for him to be named Peter Moores's successor as England's coach last year.

Gillespie said he and his family were entrenched living in the UK. "It's well known I have a young family and the consideration is do I want to be away from home for 250-plus nights a year?" he said. "At this point in my life I am not prepared to be away from my family for that kind of time. I'm a young coach and I have a lot to learn."

Gillespie's decision has renewed interest in the role, which has been vacant since McDermott stepped down in the aftermath of the World Twenty20. Adam Griffith, Western Australia's bowling coach, and South African bowling legend Allan Donald will be Australia's interim bowling coaches during upcoming tours of the Caribbean and Sri Lanka, respectively.

Other potential candidates include former Australian pacemen Ryan Harris and Andy Bichel, while Shane Bond, the ex-New Zealand quick, has also been reportedly sounded out.

A decision is likely to be made before the Australian cricket summer.