Nadal expects improved display

Rafael Nadal expects a better performance against Nicolas Mahut after a shaky start to defending his title.
The Spaniard's bid to retain his title got off to a shaky start. Despite winning his first match in straight sets, he had to struggle to beat his unseeded opponent Andrey Golubev 6-3 7-6 (7/1) 7-5.
Pundits expected the defending champion to make quick work of the Kazakh, who is ranked 98th in the world and who recently ended an 18-match losing streak. Golubev, however, surprised the crowd by breaking Nadal's serve six times in the match.
Considering that Nadal's serve was broken five times in seven matches at last year's tournament, this does not bode well for his hopes of easing his way through the opening rounds.
"(It) is impossible to win this year," quipped Nadal.
"No, I am joking," he went on to reassure the crowd.
"But I can improve my serve and that is what I am doing."
After his confidence had been shaken in the aftermath of losing the last Wimbledon final and his No.1 ranking to Novak Djokovic, Nadal admitted that he has since been improving his game. It was reported in Reuters that he expects a more assured performance in his upcoming match against French player Nicholas Mahut.
"You have to find your confidence. You get it from spending hours on court, competing better, winning matches," Nadal said.
"I am very happy to be through, and I am happy to be playing better."