Mushfiqur apologises for 'shameful' defeat

Gill Saab

Yaar Malang
Mushfiqur Rahim has apologised to Bangladesh fans for his team's "shameful" 47-run defeat in the second ODI against India. Chasing 106, Bangladesh were demolished for 58, blowing their chance to level the three-match series and extending their losing streak to nine games.

Having dismissed India for 105, their lowest total against Bangladesh, the home side were 44 for 2 in the 12th over with debutant Mithun Ali and Mushfiqur batting with purpose. They then lose eight wickets for 14 runs.

"I don't have an explanation for this defeat," Mushfiqur said. "All I can say is that we had a very good opportunity. There cannot be anything more shameful, so I apologise to the nation on behalf of the team.

"A lot of problems can be identified after such a defeat. Maybe we are trying hard, but I don't know what is exactly going wrong. We will discuss our problems tomorrow, but I think if this were our second team, they would have played better cricket. It is very disappointing."

Mushfiqur said most of the batsmen lacked the mental strength to battle it out on a difficult pitch or during a testing period. The Mirpur surface had extra pace and bounce, but it was movement and a persistent line and length that worked for Stuart Binny and Mohit Sharma.

"There can be a lot of questions. We were set in the crease but we couldn't finish the game," Mushfiqur said. "We had to try as hard as we usually do but our batsmen didn't show the mental toughness required in the middle. When they bowled two or three good overs, we played the wrong shots, which caused the defeat.

Bangladesh's bowlers also had success on the surface. Taskin Ahmed became the first Bangladesh bowler to take a five-wicket haul on debut, and Mashrafe Mortaza and Al-Amin Hossain bowled tightly from the other end.

"Taskin and Mashrafe bhai bowled very well. Al-Amin tried very hard," Mushfiqur said. "Mithun and I were batting quite well too, but I don't know what happened all of a sudden. Nothing can be worse than this and I didn't expect such poor cricket."

Mushfiqur was questioned on Tamim Iqbal's prolonged run of poor form and his choice of shots off the first two balls of the chase. He had hit the first for four and was dismissed off the second. Mushfiqur defended the opener but hinted that it might be time for change.

"Maybe it was his plan to play attacking, but he should have judged the wicket," Mushfiqur said. "A 30 or 40 from him would have made a difference but as I said, the approach may be good but the application is not there.

"It has been long and things haven't happened for us. So maybe now the management might think of a change, which could bring about a better balanced team."

Towards the end of the press conference, the BCB media manager had called for the last three questions. Mushfiqur finished them with a relieved, "that's all," but there was one more question. There will be more in the coming days.