Mohsin says he can get along with skipper Misbah

Lily

B.R
Staff member
3467329303.jpg
Karachi: New Pakistan coach Mohsin Hasan Khan is happy with his and skipper Misbah-Ul-Haq's relationship ahead of the series against Sri Lanka.

Unlike predecessor Waqar Younis and captain Shahid Afridi, who could not get along resulting in the latter's abrupt retirement, Mohsin says he has a great respect for Misbah as a cricketer and holds him in high esteem.

"He is a thorough professional, somebody who is fully aware of his job to get the best out of his players," Mohsin told The News yesterday. "As coach, I'm confident that I can add to the equation and am looking forward to working with Misbah and the other boys."

While Misbah appears to be firmly in the saddle as captain in all three formats, Mohsin has been asked to accompany the team as interim coach for the "home" series against Sri Lanka in the UAE, vacating his position as chief selector.

Mohsin says he might even think of offering to stay on as coach if he enjoys his UAE stint.

Waqar, the former Test fast bowler, and Afridi clashed over who had more say in team matters.

Mohsin, however, doesn't foresee himself developing any such differences with Misbah.

‘Due respect'

"I believe in giving people due respect," he said.

"As a cricketer, Misbah deserves to be treated with proper respect and I believe that if I do that he will reciprocate.

"The thing is that respect has to be mutual and if two parties do that then they are bound to develop a healthy working relationship." Mohsin dismissed talk that at 37 Misbah was too old to captain the side.

"He may be 37 but he is one of the fittest cricketers in our country," Mohsin said.

"I personally believe that if a player is fit enough to give his hundred per cent and if he is contributing sufficiently to the team's cause then age shouldn't be an issue. Misbah is one such cricketer who has defied all odds and is giving his best."

The series starts on October 18.
[/img][/COLOR]