Lydia Greenway announces retirement from international cricket

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
Lydia Greenway, the England Women's left-hand batsman, has announced her retirement from international cricket with immediate effect, an England and Wales Cricket Board statement declared on Wednesday (June 1).

Greenway, regarded as one of the best fielders in women's cricket, made her international debut in the Ashes of 2003 and since, has played 14 Tests, 126 One-Day Internationals and 85 Twenty20 Internationals.

"During recent discussions with Mark Robinson about his focus on developing new players against Pakistan this summer, it became clear that my involvement with the England team might be limited moving forwards," Greenway said in a statement."While in the past I have been in a similar position and have fought for my place, I now feel that at this stage in my life, it's time to take a step back and retire from international cricket with immediate effect, allowing the next generation of players to develop on the world stage."

Touted as the next-best batting talent after Charlotte Edwards in the England camp, Greenway has scored over 4000 runs in an international career that spanned over 13 years. In addition, she has also pouched 121 catches.

"I feel extremely privileged to have represented England for 13 years, and I am very proud of what I have personally achieved during this time," she said. "However, the success of the team and the people I have played with is what will make the memories so special. The double World Cup victories in 2009 was an amazing period for the team, and I will be right behind the girls as they pursue another World Cup win on home soil next year.

"I'd like to thank the ECB for getting the women's game to where it is now, all the coaches I have worked with, my team mates, and most importantly my family and friends for their unconditional support throughout my international career."

Greenway recently represented England at the Women's World Twenty20 in India that West Indies eventually won. In a tournament where England were defeated by Australia in the semifinal, Greenway had a rather lean tournament. She joins former captain and teammate Charlotte Edwards, who announced her retirement last month.

She will continue to participate in domestic cricket and represent the Southern Vipers in Kia Super League alongside Kent in the Royal London Women's One-Day Championship.