Lehmann disappointed with top order

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
Australia coach, Darren Lehmann has expressed his disappointment at the top-order failure yet again in the first innings of the 2nd Test against South Africa. Australia faced similar problems in the Ashes Down Under as well but still managed a whitewash but Lehmann admitted that it was definitely a cause of concern.

"We'd love more first-innings runs, I've spoken to everyone in the [press] room about that at various stages. That's what we need to do to get better as a cricket side. That's probably the issue we've had in Test matches and got out of trouble with someone like Brad Haddin in a couple and obviously Shaun Marsh and Steve Smith last Test match. We've got to get better from our top-order. We know that."

Talking about the current situation of the match, Lehmann acknowledged the mistakes made by his team and sought quick remedial action for the same.

"It could have been worse if they took a couple of chances. They bowled very well, give them some credit there," Lehmann said.

"I think the wicket is still very good . . . we probably helped with a couple of dismissals."

"We've got to be better in those tough situations. I know it was a long day in the field with 150-odd overs . . . [but] we've got to be better at restricting the wicket column," Lehmann said.

"We've been in this situation in a few Test matches. We know what to do and we need to do it better than we did tonight.

Talking about the positives from the game so far, Lehmann said that he was happy that South Africa were kept tied down despite batting for very long.

"You don't want to bowl 150 overs in any Test, do you? Once you get past 150 overs, teams are usually 500 or 600. We managed to keep them down to 423 so that was a pleasing effort from our bowlers I thought," he said.

"I'm pleased we got 112 runs. The game is going forward when we're batting. But disappointed with the wicket loss.

"We've got to bat really well tomorrow and keep them out in the field for most of the day. It's a good opportunity, it's a good wicket, so someone's got to stand up and make some runs."