Lavrentyeva enters semi-finals

Lily

B.R
Staff member
4277317675.jpg
Dubai: Russian Viktoriya Lavrentyeva was only one of two seeds remaining in the draw as the girls singles entered the semi-final stage at the 10th UAE Dubai ITF Junior Tennis Championships being played at the Dubai Tennis Stadium.

Seeded No3 here, Lavrentyeva won 7-5, 6-0 against fifth seed Naz Karagoz and then blasted her opponent for "cheating".

"In the first set things were pretty good and even, but I did just enough. But in the second set she started cheating and that really got my adrenalin up and I just went for it," Lavrentyeva told Gulf News.

This will be a third consecutive semi-final appearance on the tour for the Russian following her return from a wrist injury. She had won a Grade V event in Cyprus while also making it to the semi-final of a Grade III tournament in the same place.

Her opponent in the semi-final will be fellow Russian Vasilisa Aponasenko, who fought her way to a 7-6 (7), 6-0 win against Dutch girl Nikki Luttikhuis.

Rightful place

In the upper half of the draw, Germany's Hannah Nagel, seeded No.6 here, booked her rightful place in the last four stage following her 6-4, 6-1 win against Ege Tomey of Turkey. Her opponent in today's semi-final will be Egypt's Nour Azzouz following her ill-tempered 6-2, 6-3 win against eighth seed Eden Silva of Great Britain.

"It is going to be an interesting one against the Egyptian player, but my aim will be to focus on the game and give it my best," Nagel said.

The boys semi-final line-up also became clear with top seed Marat Deviatiarov setting up a face-off with third seed Milen Ianakiev of Germany in the upper half, while two unseeded players will contest for the second spot in the final when Portugal's Goncalo Loureiro takes on Vincent Thierry Schneider from Germany.

Deviatiarov got the measure of American qualifier Michael Mmoh before winning 7-5, 6-1 in the afternoon heat, while Ianakiev had a tougher outing defeating his friend and Dubai-based player Kirksteen Rebuyas in three sets 6-1, 5-7, 6-3.

Results

(Girls singles) Nour Azzouz bt Eden Silva 6-2, 6-3; Hannah Nagel bt Ege Tomey 6-4, 6-1; Viktoriya Lavrentyeva bt Naz Karagoz 7-5, 6-0; Vasilisa Aponasenko bt Nikki Luttikhuis 7-6 (7), 6-0.

(Boys singles) Marat Deviatiarov bt Michael Mmoh 7-5, 6-1; Milen Ianakiev bt Kirksteen Rebuyas 6-1, 5-7, 6-3; Goncalo Loureiro bt Amirvala Madanchi 6-4, 4-0 (retd.); Vincent Thierry Schneider bt Frantisek Polanka 6-4, 6-1.
[/img][/COLOR]