Karsan Ghavri steps down as Mumbai selector

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
Citing the issue of 'conflict of interest', former India seamer Karsan Ghavri has quit the Mumbai Ranji Trophy selection committee. A meeting of the Mumbai Cricket Association's (MCA) Cricket Improvement Committee (CIC) on Wednesday replaced Ghavri with ex-India and Mumbai batsman Jatin Paranjpe in the selection panel, which is headed by Milind Rege, and includes Ravi Thakkar and Nishit Shetty as its other members.

"I enjoyed being a part of the Ranji selection panel, and we had a fabulous season this time (Mumbai won the Ranji Trophy earlier this year), but I'm unable to continue because of a conflict of interest issue. A week back, I joined the National Cricket Academy's Zonal Cricket Academy (ZCA) camp (as a fast bowling coach). As per the BCCI rules, I cannot continue as a Mumbai selector now," Ghavri told TOI on Wednesday.

Paranjpe played four ODIs for India in 1998. The 43-year-old played 62 first-class games between 1991-92 to 2000-2001, in which he scored 3964 runs at an average of 46.09, with 13 hundreds under his belt. His father, Vasu Paranjpe, too played for Mumbai. The only fresh appointment is in the Under-19 selection committee, where a change had to be made due to the demise of Ranjan Baindoor, who headed the panel. He has been replaced by Guru Gupte. All the other selectors and coaches of various age group teams have been retained, which was expected since Mumbai won the Ranji Trophy and the Col CK Nayudu U-23 Trophy, and reached the final of the U-16 and U-19s.