Joe Dawes to replace Eric Simons as India bowling coach

India will replace their bowling coach Eric Simons with former Queensland fast bowler Joe Dawes at the end of the tour of Australia. Simons' contract expires after the tour, ending his two-year tenure with the Indian team.

The topic of Simons' contract was brought up at the BCCI working committee meeting in Chennai on Monday. Replacing him is the first change India will make to their support staff after losing their last eight away Tests.

Simons said he did not want to continue with the Indian team beyond the Australia tour. "The full story is that after the World Cup, Duncan Fletcher asked me to stay on. I agreed to stay on until after the England tour. I was then asked to continue to Australia and told them that I would not be able to extend beyond that," he said. "During the West Indies series in India, I was asked if I would reconsider and said that I could not, as I had effectively been away from home for two years. I was never going to continue beyond the Australia series."

MS Dhoni, the India captain, was full of praise for Simons. "Eric has been brilliant," he said. "He has been with us for quite some time. He knows our culture, how we work, and he understands each and every bowler. What's also important is what we speak and what we mean [they can be different]. Sometimes the bowlers say something, but they mean something else. That only comes in once the bowling coach has spent some time with the youngsters and the bowlers who are set in the side. Had a good experience with him, and hopefully the new bowling coach, whoever comes, does a good job."

:so :so