Jamie How announces retirement

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
New Zealand batsman Jamie How will retire from all forms of cricket after the 2014-15 Ford Trophy, the domestic one-day competition, to pursue a career in the corporate sector.

How, 33, played 19 Tests, 41 ODIs and five Twenty20 internationals for New Zealand during an eight-year career that began in March 2006. He averaged 22.70 in Tests and 29 in ODIs. His last Test for New Zealand was in 2009 and he has not played ODI cricket since 2011.

"These are never easy decisions to make but the time has come to embrace an opportunity outside cricket," How said. "The role with Toyota New Zealand was too good to pass up. I really thank them for the opportunity they're providing, and I'm looking forward to the new challenge.

"Most importantly I'm looking forward to spending more regular time with my young family and to establishing a career after cricket. I am very proud to have played for my country and was very fortunate to play alongside and against some of the very best players in the world."

How played 130 first-class matches, most of them for Central Districts, and he said that the team had been a big part of his life. He captained Central Districts for six seasons and led them to victory in the 2008 HRV Cup and 2013 Plunket Shield. "I wish the Central Districts team all the best for the remainder of the season and thank them for understanding the need for me to take up this new opportunity."

New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White said How had been a fine ambassador for the game and a popular team-mate. "It's always a poignant time when someone like Jamie decides to retire but I'm delighted he's found a career outside cricket and wish him well in his endeavours."

Central Districts board member Campbell Furlong described How's contribution to the association as "immense". "Quite apart from all his on-field achievements Jamie was, and is, a great bloke," Furlong said. "When he has time to sit back and consider his career, he should feel particularly proud of the respect in which he's been held by team-mates, opponents and supporters of cricket alike."