Jagr scores on his return to Pittsburgh

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Pittsburgh: Jaromir Jagr scored on his return to Pittsburgh on Thursday, sparking the Philadelphia Flyers to a 4-2 victory and snapping the Penguins' four-game win streak.

Jagr, who spent the first 11 years of his career with the Penguins, broke a 1-1 tie with his 12th goal of the season to give the Flyers the momentum in the second period.

The 39-year-old Czech joined Philadelphia in the off-season after spending three years in Russia, and admitted that he should have scored a hatful in familiar surroundings.

‘I could have scored five'

"I felt pretty good, I had so many chances," Jagr said. "I could have scored five goals, but I just couldn't score. Fifteen years ago I would score five. But not anymore."

Pittsburgh's Jordan Staal had opened the scoring before Kimmo Timonen tied it at 1-1 midway through the first period.

After Jagr put the Flyers ahead six minutes into the second, Matt Read made it 3-1 ten minutes later. Pittsburgh's Tyler Kennedy cut the deficit to 3-2 with a slap shot at 13:31 in the third period but Maxime Talbot clinched the win with an empty-net goal with 25 seconds remaining.

The victory moved Philadelphia (22-10-4) into a tie with the New York Rangers for first place in the Atlantic Division while the Penguins (21-12-4) stayed two points behind.

Results

• NHL results on Thursday
  • ISLANDERS 3 Calgary 1
  • Philadelphia 4 P'BURGH 2
  • CAROLINA 4 Toronto 3 (OT)
  • TAMPA BAY 4 Montreal 3
  • MINNESOTA 4 Edmonton 3
  • WINNIPEG 1 Los Angeles 0 (OT)
  • Columbus 4 DALLAS 1
  • COLORADO 3 Phoenix 2
  • Vancouver 5 ANAHEIM 2
  • (home team in CAPS)