Ireland cricketer Andy Balbirnie released by Middlesex

Quick Register
User Name:
Human Verification

Go Back   UNP > Chit-Chat > News > Sports News

UNP Register


Old 02-Jun-2016
Ireland cricketer Andy Balbirnie released by Middlesex

Middlesex released Andy Balbirne, Ireland batsman, after he was ruled out of the season due to a hip surgery in April. Balbirnie's contract is due to expire at the end of this season and considering his recovery, the county decided to release him.

"It's always extremely sad to release a young cricketer, especially when they are as likeable and as committed to the game as Andrew," Angus Fraser, team's managing director, said on Wednesday (June 1).

"He is expected to make a full recovery from his operation, is a very good cricketer, and everyone at the club wishes him well for the future."

The 25-year-old has played two first-class, three list-A and seven Twenty20 matches for Middlesex and is also their academy graduate. He recently became a permanent member of Ireland's One-Day International and T20I squads and featured in the recently concluded ICC World Twenty20 in India.

Balbirne also made huge impact with the bat last year in the ODI World Cup in Australia and New Zealand where he finished as Ireland's third highest run-getter with 236 runs at an average of 39.33.

"I would like to thank everyone involved in Middlesex County Cricket Club over the last five seasons who have helped me develop not just on the field but off it too," Balbirnie said.

"It's been a huge honour to represent this great club and one that has been thoroughly enjoyable. I wish the squad and the staff the very best for the remainder of the season."

Post New Thread  Reply

« County Championship wrap: Adil Rashid, Tim Bresnan bowl Yorkshire to big win | India to start Champions Trophy campaign against Pakistan »