Injured Johnson, Watson in doubt for first Test against New

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Melbourne: Australia paceman Mitchell Johnson and all rounder Shane Watson may miss the first Test against New Zealand after suffering injuries during the South Africa tour.

Johnson hurt his toe during Australia's victory in the second Test against South Africa, while Watson remained under a cloud after straining his hamstring, Cricket Australia said in a statement yesterday.

"Mitchell Johnson has an injury to the main joint of his big toe in the left foot," the team's physiotherapist said in the statement.

"The scans will be reviewed in the next 24 hours and he will also be assessed by medical staff at the WACA on return to Perth.

"Shane Watson had a scan that has confirmed the extent of the hamstring injury he sustained in the first innings of the second Test."

Hip injury

Late-bloomer Ryan Harris, Australia's most consistent fast bowler over the past year, expects to be start the Test in Brisbane but is also a fitness concern after sustaining a hip injury in South Africa which forced him to leave the tour early.

"I'm planning to be fit, the other thing now is I've got to be picked again," the 32-year-old said yesterday.

"There's a young fellow that's done pretty well over there, obviously got an opportunity because of my injury," Harris said, referring to 18-year-old Pat Cummins, who became the youngest Test debutant to take five wickets in Australia's recent victory over the Proteas.