I'll miss Dhoni's leadership; there will never be a next CSK: Bravo

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
A vital member of Chennai Super Kings for last five years, West Indies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo called Mahendra Singh Dhoni one of the world’s best captains and said he will miss playing under India’s skipper in IPL-9.

Dhoni captained Chennai Super Kings to title triumphs in 2010 and 2011, besides leading the side to victory in the Champions League in 2010 and 2014.

"Yes. I will miss Dhoni's leadership. Any player, for that matter, will miss him because he is one of the best captains in the world," said Bravo, while launching an ‘Ultimate Sports Coaching Programme’ at a Mall in Chennai on Wednesday.

Bravo will represent Gujarat Lions this IPL season following the two-year ban on Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals for the involvement of some of their officials and co-owners in the 2013 IPL spot-fixing scandal, which was probed by the Supreme Court-appointed Justice (retd) R M Lodha committee.

On playing under new captain and Chennai Super Kings teammate Suresh Raina, he said: "We do play under different captains, but it is a good opportunity for Suresh Raina to show his leadership skills. We players have to give that support. Hundred percent we are going to support Raina.

"Suresh Raina has years of experience and is the right man to lead the side. We are confident that he will do a good job. I have not met the team as of yet. We have new owners and I will have new teammates. He has a good team and will to excel,"

Asked if Gujarat Lions is a new CSK, Bravo replied: "There will never be a next CSK. There will not be another CSK. But, I think, the people in Chennai will support Gujarat Lions because we have five players from CSK team.

"Besides me, there will be Raina, Brendon McCullum, Ravindra Jadeja and Dwayne Smith. I am excited about the new team, new franchise but we have the core of CSK players. We know how to win matches and we will be a force to be reckoned with," he said.

The Trinidadian said there won't be any change in the intensity of the IPL tournament due to the absence of Chennai Super Kings or Rajasthan Royals in this edition.

"Although there won't be Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals in this edition, I don't see any let down in the intensity of the tournament. The league will miss its past two champions," said Bravo.

"But you will have the players who have played for CSK and Rajasthan playing in the two new teams. There was a time when CSK were the team to beat. Hopefully, Gujarat Lions can rise to the occasion.

"It is going to be a competitive tournament. IPL is a prestigious tournament and every team will want to be IPL champions."